Sony has released a new system upgrade, it weight around 340 MB, seeing the size of it suggests that there’s not really much to the update. This system software update improves system performance. Not that your PlayStation is going to work faster but it’s more to do with fixing some bugs.
There’s been some rumors that another Jailbreaker patch has released which allows you to have access to your system kernel and run some unsigned software. It was available for the system software version for 4.71. So, they had to release another update to so, nobody can hack your system.
Nothing to get excited about, maybe your PlayStation will actually work a little bit faster because they usually introduce bugs fixes and sometimes some applications can work a little bit faster. No new features even the smallest ones has been introduced. For new features we have to wait for the System software firmware update 4.8.
The last big update was around March when they introduced a lot of new stuff, external harddrive support and couple of other things. You can check the full list of previous updates below:
- External hard disk drive
- USB 3.0 or later
- 250 GB minimum, 8 TB maximum capacity
- Select (Settings) > [Devices] > [USB Storage Devices], select the connected USB storage device, and then format it for use as extended storage.
- The quick menu is now more user friendly.
- Notifications have been redesigned.
- When using Remote Play on a Windows PC, Mac, Xperia™ Smartphone, or Xperia™ Tablet.
- You can now use screenshots to customize the background of your home screen and function screen.
- You can now post screenshots directly to activities, such as those shown in [What’s New].
- You can now post animated GIFs.
- Your status is now visible as Mobile.
- You can now make a party public or private even after the party has been created.