Google has been internally testing a data feature known as instant tethering. This feature enables Google pixel and nexus devices to automatically connect with WiFi and mobile data and share the data connection with other devices, automation is the prime feature of instant tethering.
Tethering Devices and requirements:
Google says the device which is acting as host and sharing data connection will have Pixel, Pixel XL, Nexus 6, Nexus 5X or Nexus 6P running Android 7.1.1 updates. There is a long list of the devices which can share the data connection with each other includes in Pixel devices Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel C, the Nexus devices can support are Nexus 6, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, and Nexus 9 and with Android 6.0 and up version of android.
If you have some android device and you have been stuck with manual tethering, Google point out that there are some cellular carrier limits and extra charge for checking carrier list.
How to start and upgrade your device for instant tethering:
- If the “Wi-Fi hotspot available” notification. Tap it.
- Tap Connect for data connection. If multiple host phones, first tap the phone you want to connect.
- Tap Not now to connect later and open your Settings app Google Instant Tethering your phone Connect.
- To change Instant Tethering settings, tap Configure.
- The first time that you tether with some carrier, you will see a verification notification. Tap Continue.
- When your phone connect, you will get a “Sharing data connection” notification.
- The notification remains as long as you’re connected.
- To disconnect, tap the notification.
- When don’t use an Instant Tethering connection for about 10 minutes, it disconnects.