Google just announced a new section in its Play Store under the new Android Excellence program. Google’s editorial team was at it since quite a long time and it basically categorizes apps into 2 different sections i.e. Apps and Games.
What’s The Purpose of This Categorization?
The categorization is basically done in order to feature a rotating collection of apps that deliver a superb Android user experience. Google has its own standards of placing apps and games in the Excellence program and the major decisive factors for it are:
- Best practices
- Great design
- Technical performance
- Device optimization
To check out the feature, do visit Google’s newly revamped Editor’s Choice section.
Apple’s Call for Competition
The update is actually a reaction to Apple’s announcement of overhauled App Store where the UX has been improved primarily by introducing a new interface and shifted focus on discovery and how-tos. Apple has decided to pay a tribute to developers by featuring one app a day on the home page of their App Store. This will help the developers a lot in designing their future goals because to get featured on the Apple App Store is a big thing.
Obviously, Android had to make a difference so the Android Excellence program will only be updated quarterly. Now, the difference is that the Android’s policy for selecting any app for the program will be a complete mystery as the company can select any of the apps to feature in the program. Anyway, the Excellence program has already been launched and you definitely need to check it out.
Android Excellence Apps
The initial list of the apps goes like:
- AliExpress by Alibaba Mobile
- B&H Photo Video by B&H Photo Video
- Citymapper by Citymapper Limited
- Drivvo by Drivvo
- drupe by drupe
- Evernote by Evernote Corporation
- Hotel Tonight by HotelTonight
- Kitchen Stories by Kitchen Stories
- Komoot by komoot GmbH
- Lifesum by Lifesum
- Memrise by Memrise
- Pocket by Read It Later
- Runtastic Running & Fitness Tracker by Runtastic
- Skyscanner by Skyscanner Ltd
- Sleep as Android by Urbandroid Team
- Vivino by Vivino
Android Excellence Games
For the games, the list is shown below:
- After the End Forsaken Destiny by Nexon M Inc.
- CATS: Crash Arena Turbo Stars by ZeptoLab
- Golf Clash by Playdemic
- Hitman GO Square Enix Ltd
- Horizon Chase – World Tour by Aquiris Game Studio S.A
- Kill Shot Bravo by Hothead Games
- Lineage Red Knights by Ncsoft Corporation
- Nonstop Knight by flaregames
- PAC-MAN 256 – Endless Maze by Bandai Namco Entertainment Europe
- Pictionary by Etermax
- Reigns by DevolverDigital
- Riptide GP: Renegade by Vector Unit
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes by Electronic Arts
- Titan Brawl by Omnidrone
- Toca Blocks by Toca Boca
- Transformers: Forged to Fight by Kabam