Believe it or not, AMD is taking the high flight. Grabbing almost 10.4% of Intel’s CPU market in the second quarter of this year, AMD is currently enjoying the largest CPU market share of all times. More specifically, AMD is now the largest x86 CPU market in the history of the Sunnyvale, California-based chip maker as compared to Intel.
PassMark’s Quarterly Report
According to the PassMark’s quarterly market share report based on the thousands of submissions, the AMD’s all time high revenue figures are subjected to the recent developments in the CPU sector. The credibility of the report can be judged by the fact that PassMark’s market share data is based on benchmark submissions. The studies are not based on the systems sold instead, they are based on the actual systems in use. Further details as stated by PassMark are mentioned below:
– This graph counts the baselines submitted to us during these time period and therefore is representative of CPUs in use rather than CPUs purchased.
– The Quarters are by the calendar year rather than financial. (i.e. Q1 starts January 1st)
– Baselines can be submitted from anywhere, therefore, these are global statistics.
– We do receive a small number of submissions of CPU types other than AMD and Intel, however, the percentage is so small as to make it not worth graphing. This combined with rounding off the percentages to 2 decimal places will account for each quarter not always adding up to exactly 100%.
– This chart only includes x86 processors and does not include other chip architectures these manufacturers may sell.
– This chart only includes CPUs installed into PCs and does not include game consoles.
– As the PerformanceTest software only runs on Windows OS and counts on user submitting their benchmarks. This chart may be non-reflective of non-Windows user base.
The Key to AMD’s Success
As mentioned earlier, this all happened because of the recent developments by AMD in the processor industry. Ryzen played a very important role in that and the company now has a good 31% share of the CPU market. According to the facts, this year has proven to be the best for AMD in the last 10 years or so. Not only this, the company was at 20.6% in the last quarter and a 10%+ share gain in a single quarter is not less than a blessing for any company that AMD has achieved.